Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:22:38 CDT 2008

Thanks Dave.  I like the concept of 'language neurality' for scientific names.

The example you give is certainly not something a human would want to
read in its unrendered state but it is easy to see how an application
could extract usable and useful information.  Not entirely sure how an
application might embed such markup into the narrative string - but
this is another conversation.

In the example you provide, where is the signal that says: do not
translate 'Bufo marina' into the equivalent of 'Bufo harbour or place
where you moor your yacht'?  This seemed to be an early specification
driver of this thread.  Is it implicit in dwc:ScientificName?  If so,
it is probably not going to work because I do not think it is
reasonable to expect third party translating tools to know about dwc.
It would be nice if they did but I bet they won't.

jim