Dave Vieglais vieglais at ku.edu
Tue Jul 1 18:08:56 CDT 2008

Hi Jim,
the goal is indeed to make third party applications aware of what
"dwc:ScientificName" or more appropriately "tdwg:TaxonName" means.
This is no different to the widely adopted use of Dublin Core, FOAF,
or even the abhorent W3C geo vocabulary
(http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/ ).  Elements marked up with those
semantics are understood by various processors to have special
meaning, and in the example of a language translator, a properly
written translator would understand that it should not try and
translate elements tagged as Scientific Names.  The main point is
perhaps that unless content is marked up in this sort of way, there is
no impetus for tool builders to evaluate such tags.

As far as generating output that is properly marked up, that really
should not be too much of a problem, especially if narrative is being
generated by pulling names from a database and there are well
documented recipes or examples showing how to do this effectively.

cheers,
 Dave V.