[Taxacom] Hennigian Term?

Robin Leech releech at telusplanet.net
Sun Jul 6 12:49:09 CDT 2008

Hi Frank,

In this case, it is regarding a family of spiders which has a particular character; not all genera (and therefore not all species) of the family have this particular character.  Further, no other spider families have this particular character.  So, it is a character unique to a few genera and species of one family of spiders.

So, it is a character found in the Order Araneae, in one family, in a few genera, and a few species.  I guess that pretty well removes it as a terminal taxon trait.

We find these unique situations in different spider families fairly commonly.  For example, members of the genus Scytodes have their poison glands modified for "spitting" a very viscous, chitin-dissolving liquid at prey, causing the prey to be more or less glued to the substrate.  In due course, the liquid dissolves the chitin of the prey, rendering the prey helpless.  As the prey struggles, its legs break where the liquid is in contact with them.  At this point, the spider starts feeding on the prey.  A common name for this group is "spitting spiders".  Google: "Spitting Spiders".

Robin