[Taxacom] Sperm whale scientific name - catodon or macrocephalus?

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Tue Jul 8 21:09:00 CDT 2008

I wondered about prevailing usage. Physeter macrocephalus seems to be 'winning', at least in crude Zoological Record hits, which are 464 for macrocephalus and 162 for catodon,  for the modern period 1990-2008 to which I have online access. Some of the 162, (including the most recent of January 2008) are actually using macrocephalus as the valid name, with only 146 not mentioning it.

However,  if catodon remains senior in the online lists of GBIF etc, what will happen is that naive users will adopt it (that is most of us I guess who are not whale taxonomists).

More generally, when the entries in WoRMS, etc, are blatantly objectively incorrect, as frequently they will be, despite spurious support from 'sources' (which may not actually agree with the entry), more confusion will result. I have just experienced this today when my usage was questioned, and I had to spend some time checking out what was going on in the WoRMS entry.

More work for taxonomists, and no, it doesn't scale. But in the whale case it seems worth the effort to resolve.

PS. I forgot (when posting below) to except Linnaeus himself as a source - of the problem in this case.
PPS. I really appreciate both having WoRMS as a tool for my group (annelids), and the dedicated work of individuals over decades that contributed the data it uses.

Geoff