[Taxacom] Job opportunity at ETI BioInformatics: Experienced Software Engineer Internet Applications

Marc Brugman mbrugman at eti.uva.nl
Thu Jul 10 10:25:16 CDT 2008

Job opportunity at ETI BioInformatics: Experienced Software Engineer
Internet Applications

ETI BioInformatics (www.eti.uva.nl) develops cutting edge information
systems that facilitate information sharing in the field of biodiversity on
a global scale. Connecting distributed databases into interoperable networks
with dedicated information portals provides an efficient, customizable
solution that meets information needs in science, education, policy making
and environmental awareness in general. ETI, an NGO in operational relation
with UNESCO, promotes equal access to quality biodiversity information. We
develop information networks in international initiatives such as the Global
Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF), the Catalogue of Life (Species2000
& ITIS), and build user-targeted systems for species identification in
European projects (e.g. KeyToNature, MARBEF, EDIT, Synthesys). In the
Netherlands ETI works for NLBIF (national GBIF Node), and the Ministry of
Agriculture (BioWIE). We participate in bilateral projects with Tanzania,
Colombia, Bulgaria, and Italy.

ETI BioInformatics (NL) has a staff of 13, and ETI-IS (based in UK) a staff
of 4.

For our expanding portfolio we are looking for an experienced software
engineer to strengthen our team in Amsterdam in developing rich internet PHP
applications, with service orientated architecture and semantic web
technologies.

We offer varied and challenging, international projects; support to express
your own ideas, solutions and initiatives; a dedicated, enthusiastic and
experienced team; a
working environment with the latest hardware and software; a competitive
salary; 25 vacation days and a good pension arrangement.

Qualifications:
Programming languages: provable very experienced in PHP 5 (OOP, Smarty),
JavaScript (Ajax, Json, Jquery), and HTML; recommended: working knowledge of
JAVA/JSP/JAVA Applets, and Python.
Database management systems: very experienced with MySQL, and PostgreSQL;
recommended: working knowledge of PostGIS, AdoDB abstraction layer, Oracle.
Further: experience with MVC frameworks, CVS, and recommended skills in XML,
XSLT, XML Schema, RDF/OWL, REST and SOAP Web services, UML, Drupal, Apache,
Open Source development, Multilanguage solutions, Mobile application
development
Personality: engaged, team worker, pro-active, innovative.
Education: university degree in (Biodiversity) informatics or a comparable
demonstrable level of knowledge and experience.
Languages: English (required), (Dutch, French or Spanish are an advantage).

Please send your application and CV to jobs at eti.uva.nl. For more information
please contact Peter Schalk (pschalk at eti.uva.nl), Wouter Addink
(waddink at eti.uva.nl) or Marc Brugman (mbrugman at eti.uva.nl).

It has removed 1863 spam emails to date.