[Taxacom] taxon wikipedia type resources

Dave Roberts workpackage6 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 29 03:56:53 CDT 2008

Dear Roger,

the Scratchpads <http://scratchpads.eu> offer this functionality at
the discretion of the site maintainer.

Maintainers have it in their gift to allow registered users differing
levels of editorial access.  When we set the system up we imagined
that the maintainer, or team of senior editors, would know by
reputation those they considered trustworthy enough to be given live
edit rights.

Cheers,  Dave
--
On 28 Jul 2008, at 19:39, Roger Hyam wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could help me find some examples of
> taxonomy web sites that will accept contributions from general
> users in the style of wikipedia/wikispecies. To qualify they must
> allow anyone to register and contribute. Contributions must appear
> live, as part of the data without going through an editorial
> process. Sites that only allow users to comment or upload their own
> data don't really count. I am looking for collaborative works. The
> sites could cover any kind of taxonomic related information - not
> just actual taxa I am wondering why I don't come across such site
> in my work.
>
> Many thanks for your thoughts,
>
> Roger

Dr D.McL. Roberts,        Tel: +44 (0)20 7942 5086
European Distributed Institute of Taxonomy Project,
Ccordinator WorkPackage 6 (Unifying Revisionary Taxonomy),
Dept. Zoology,
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London        SW7 5BD
Great Britain             Email: dmr at nomencurator.org
Web page:  http://www.editwebrevisions.info/
Web page:  http://www.e-taxonomy.eu/
--
In general, it is easier to get forgiveness than to get permission.