[Taxacom] taxon wikipedia type resources

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 03:57:55 CDT 2008

I'm sure Roger will have his own views but to my mind there is a world
of difference between a mailing list, data integration, and a wiki.

A wiki is publicly visible, editable by anyone (in principle), and can
display a complete history of edits. This means it can rapidly change,
draw on a large community of contributors, and those contributions are
traceable.

Whatever taxonomists make of them, others are starting to explore
their uses (e.g., see Gene Wiki http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0060175
   for an interesting use of Wikipedia). The taxonomic community seems
somehow afraid of them, yet I suggest this is not based on much more
than folklore.

Mailing lists are conversations, and in the absence of archive and
search tools such as http://taxacom.markmail.org/ , it becomes hard to
extract information over time. The audience for any given mailing list
is small (TAXACOM's subscribers will be a tiny subset of those
interested in, or able to contribute to, taxonomy).

Database integration sites are important, but in many cases they lack
ways for people to correct and annotate errors, even if those errors
are obvious (http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2008/06/more-gbif-errors-courtesy-of-fishbase.html
  ). The fact that errors in GBIF persist for months, if not longer,
suggests that this model of authoritative integration has flaws. If
GBIF, say, had simple tools for community annotation they could
dramatically improve the quality of their data.

I suggest that we need all three. Wiki's exploit the fact the the
number of people able to improve a wiki page is vastly greater than
the number of "experts" on the topic of that page. Already, Wikipedia
handily beats EOL in terms of content, a situation I don't see
changing anytime soon.

In closing, an interesting question would be why Wikipedia is so much
more successful than Wikispecies.

Regards

Rod

On 29 Jul 2008, at 06:38, <Tony.Rees at csiro.au> <Tony.Rees at csiro.au>
wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> My question would be, what is the scope of such potential
> "collaboration", and how is it different from (on one hand) a mailing
> list where people can ask or answer questions of a taxonomic nature,
> (on
> another) data integration sites such as NBN, GBIF, OBIS etc., to which
> contributors can upload their own data, and (on the third hand -
> aliens/mutants only) wikipedia/wikispecies? (Although in principle the
> latter is for citations to existing work, not publication of original
> information).
>
> I would agree with Paddy that if you can provide a compelling enough
> answer to the first question, then EOL is a good potential home for
> whatever is possibly required, since a single one stop shop is in
> principle better than many...
>
> - Tony Rees

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy