[Taxacom] taxon wikipedia type resources

Richard Moe rlmoe at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 29 21:33:53 CDT 2008

What we use in the Consortium of California Herbaria is a system that
associates semi-structured comments with the records as well as routing
them
to the curators of the data. See the recent comments link at the bottom
of
the main search page:
http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/consortium/

What is hard to appreciate is how much time is required for a curator
to evaluate a comment, locate the pertinent specimen (as is often
necessary),
make the necessary changes in the record (often _not_ the change
advocated by the
commenter) and the specimen, and pursue possible related errors.

Follow-up is not usually immediate, but at least the comment makes
evident that
a record may contain questionable data.

Richard Moe