[Taxacom] iSpecies automated tagging

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Jul 30 11:33:21 CDT 2008

In message <16DCB1B7-D981-4A15-A27E-DA7102D11CED at bio.gla.ac.uk>, Roderic
Page <R.Page at bio.gla.ac.uk> writes

>I've added an experimental feature to iSpecies (http://ispecies.org),
>namely automated "tagging". Keywords from any article titles and
>Wikipedia entries are extracted and displayed as tags (see http://iphyl
>o.blogspot.com/2008/07/ispecies-gets-automated-tagging.html
>  for details).
>
>It's all a bit crude, but seems a surprisingly effective way to get a
>snapshot of what we know about a taxon.

That's a good idea, but would, I suggest, work better if the tags were
links.

For example, the tag "endemic" could link to, say:

        <http://ispecies.org/tags/enedemic>

which would be a page with a list of all iSpecies entries tagged as
"endemic".

If you don't want to implement that, you could make the links point to,
say:

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemic>

or:

        <http://www.technorati.com/tag/endemic>

Finally, you could then implement the "rel-tag" microformat:

        http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag

by adding:

        rel="tag"

to each link, thus: