[Taxacom] lectotypification?

Torbjörn Tyler Torbjorn.Tyler at ekol.lu.se
Wed Jul 30 13:30:16 CDT 2008

I suppose the simpliest possible answer to that question is: YES!

(If the duplicates were all known to have been deposited in a single herbarium, then all duplicates with the same field number may have been treated as a single specimen in the sense of ICBN, but apparently you do not know if this is the case here (you even don't know in what herbarium they are?) and then lectotypification is the only possibility.)

/ Torbjörn Tyler

>Dear all,
>I am a PhD student from the University of Torino, Italy. This is my
>first message. I hope my question will be appropriate for this group.
>I have
>been dealing with the Taxonomic placement of some Hoya species whose protologue
>cites a field number, but not the herbarium where the type had been deposited.
>These names, having been published between 1906 and 1913 are valid. As the
>field number cited in the protologue is not written on one specimen only but on
>all the duplicates as well, is there the need to designate a lectotype?
>
>Kind
>regards, Michele Rodda

Torbjörn Tyler, Ph.D,

- Curator at herbarium LD.
- Editor in Chief of Nordic Journal of Botany.
- Deputy secretary of Lund Botanical Society, with special responsibility for Projekt Skånes Mossor.
- Responsible for the project The Hieracia of Sweden.

Botanical Museum
Ö. Vallgatan 18
SE-223 61 Lund

tel. +(0)46-222 89 65

e-mail: torbjorn.tyler at botmus.lu.se

Private address: Bredgatan 12B, SE-243 32 Höör (=Hoeoer), tel. +(0)413-23123.