[Taxacom] lectotypification?

Mario Blanco mblanco at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed Jul 30 15:32:33 CDT 2008

In case there are several specimens deposited in the author's base
herbarium, then lectotypification to narrow it down to a single specimen
is optional (and desirable). The two-step process referred to in Art.
9.15 can be also achieved in a single lectotypification event. Article
9.15 from the ICBN reads:

9.15. A designation of a lectotype or neotype that later is found to
refer to a single gathering but to more than one specimen must
nevertheless be accepted (subject to Art. 9.17), but may be further
narrowed to a single one of these specimens by way of a subsequent
lectotypification or neotypification.

Ex. 8. /Erigeron plantagineus/ Greene (1898) was described from material
collected by R. M. Austin in California. Cronquist (in Brittonia 6: 173.
1947) wrote "Type: /Austin s.n./, Modoc County, California (ND)",
thereby designating the Austin material in ND as the [first-step]
lectotype. Strother & Ferlatte (in Madron'o 35: 85. 1988), noting that
there were two specimens of this gathering at ND, designated one of them
(ND-G No. 057228) as the [second-step] lectotype. In subsequent
references, both lectotypification steps may be cited in sequence.

--
Mario A. Blanco
Department of Botany