[Taxacom] iSpecies automated tagging

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Wed Jul 30 16:38:53 CDT 2008

>>> On 30/07/2008 at 9:56 p.m., Roderic Page <R.Page at bio.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
> I've added an experimental feature to iSpecies (http://ispecies.org),
> namely automated "tagging". Keywords from any article titles and
> Wikipedia entries are extracted and displayed as tags (see
> http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2008/07/ispecies-gets-automated-tagging.html
>   for details).
>
> It's all a bit crude, but seems a surprisingly effective way to get a
> snapshot of what we know about a taxon.

That's great.  However, as a side issue, since this is a taxonomy list, I'm wondering about the blog example Helice crassa, suddenly in Wikipedia very recently becoming Austrohelice crassa (Austrohelice apparently a monotypic genus), without apparently raising an eyebrow amongst the Wikipedians, and more importantly, without a reference, or comment.  I mean - isn't the why interesting?  Would be to me as a reader. Strange. There's a little bit more under Varunidae, but no page for Austrohelice.

Good to see though that GenBank is up with it, thanks to someone, and has the monograph ref.

Cheers,

Geoff