[Taxacom] Correct representation of Nomen. Zool. authority dates?

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Wed Jul 30 19:46:09 CDT 2008

Dear Taxacomers,

I am seeking some advice as to the best way to represent (? transliterate)  dates for genus authors where given in Nomenclator Zoologicus (online version  accessible via http://www.ubio.org/index.php?pagename=NZ ) in my own taxonomic data system(s).

According to the introductory section of the printed text:
"* An Asterisk associated with a date implies that some research has been made, and that the date given is the nearest ascertainable.
Dates in round brackets, e.g. (1869). These indicate the correct date of publication appearing in the work other than on the title-page.
Dates in square brackets, e.g. [1800]. These indicate the correct date of a publication, but that it does not appear in the work itself."

Here are a few examples, other than the standard <author year>:

1: Abantiades Herrich-Schaeffer [1856 (Pls. 1853)]
2: Chiromysis Sars 1877 [sep. 1876]
3: Chlorampulex Saussure [*1892]
4: Egertonia Cocchi 1866 [? sep. 1864]
5: Euryphene Westwood (1850)
6: Filicavea d'Orbigny 1852 [53]

And so on. The use of the abbreviation "sep" appears to mean that the separates (pre-prints) were available for circulation before the official journal date.

Here is what I might do in the absence of advice to the contrary:

Case 1: go with the date 1856 (as plates on their own are not a full description??)
Case 2: go with the separates date? In which case do I need a note to explain why the publication date is not used?
Case 3: either Saussure, 1892, or Saussure, c.1892
Case 4: not sure...
Case 5: just use Westwood, 1850
Case 6: not sure...

I have seen other publications/sites where the actual date is given without brackets, followed by the printed date (where different) in quotes, e.g. see Nothoprocta taczanowskii on http://www.zoonomen.net/ , cited as Nothoprocta taczanowskii Sclater,PL & Salvin 1875 PZS["1874"] Pt4 p.679 pl.84.

Any/all advice appreciated.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,