[Taxacom] valid characters in scientific names?

Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au
Wed Jul 30 22:57:16 CDT 2008

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure about the Zoological code; in the Botanical code, you need to allow for characters with a diaeresis.

>From the Vienna code (http://www.ibot.sav.sk/icbn/main.htm):

60.6. Diacritical signs are not used in Latin plant names. In names (either new or old) drawn from words in which such signs appear, the signs are to be suppressed with the necessary transcription of the letters so modified; for example  ä, ö, ü become, respectively,  ae, oe, ue; é, è, ê become  e, or sometimes  ae; ñ becomes n; ø becomes  oe;  å becomes  ao. The diaeresis, indicating that a vowel is to be pronounced separately from the preceding vowel (as in  Cephaëlis, Isoëtes), is permissible; the ligatures  -æ- and  -œ-, indicating that the letters are pronounced together, are to be replaced by the separate letters  -ae- and  -oe-.

Eric Zurcher
CSIRO Plant Industry
Canberra, Australia
Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au