[Taxacom] "Why would you waste your time editing Wikipedia?"

Julian H humphries at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 30 23:22:26 CDT 2008

At 03:15 PM 7/30/2008, Shorthouse, David wrote:
> > Let's face reality - whatever organism one considers, the number one
> > link people will get in Google is pretty much going to be the
> > Wikipedia link (as long as the organism is listed in Wikipedia). Now,
> > and even more so in the future. Whatever other resources we may
> > develop on our own, or as a community, I rather suspect Wikipedia
> > will ALWAYS come out as the first link. As such, I do a greater
> > public service by working to ensure that Wikipedia contains accurate
> > information, since more people in the public will see it.
>
>[David Shorthouse wrote:]
>
>I disagree here. If you develop good content and have good internal and
>external link density, you will ALWAYS come out above Wikipedia.

I would disagree as well.   Lots of Animal Diversity Web pages and
Digimorph pages come out ahead of Wiki*.  And even when they don't,
all three are frequently in the top 5 or 10 (for the limited number
of taxa on Digimorph, but ADW is much broader).  We have mostly
vertebrates, so I can't speak to other taxonomic groups, but for even
fairly well known (popular) taxa this can be true (e.g. Phrynosoma
cornutum).  For rarer taxa (e.g. Cricosaura typica) we are frequently
first listed.

Julian Humphries
DigiMorph.Org
Geological Sciences