[Taxacom] wikipedia & taxonomical authority

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 03:34:56 CDT 2008

Chuck,

One could ask at what point do we need to know "who". Given that we
have access to a history of edits, we can judge the value of the
contributions.

In the case of the changes to the Helice crassa page, the update to
the genus Austrohelice was made by  "Dysmorodrepanis" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dysmorodrepanis
  ), who we can see has a long history of editing. We can also engage
that user in conversation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Dysmorodrepanis
  ), if we wish.

Just how important is knowing who "Dysmorodrepanis" actually is? Don't
we have enough information to make some judgement of who good they
are? Isn't this roughly how we make judgements "offline" (i.e., we
look a a body of work and make a judgement, base don our own reading,
and the reaction of others). I'd hate to think we attribute authority
simply based on a name.

Regards

Rod

On 31 Jul 2008, at 08:44, Chuck Miller wrote:

> Regarding "the history of who is doing what is visible"
>
> Most "whos" on Wikipedia are anonymous using names like flip02,
> darthvader, fuzzy bunny, etc.  So, how do you really know "who" is
> doing
> what? You just know "what."
>
> EOL intends to provide real "whos" for its species pages.  At least if
> you know "who" wrote the "what", you have a chance for reporting the
> issue to them.  Of course, the "who" might have lived in the 19th
> century and won't listen.
>
> Chuck

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy