[Taxacom] wikipedia & taxonomical authority

Roger Hyam (TDWG) rogerhyam at mac.com
Thu Jul 31 04:37:28 CDT 2008

Thanks Chuck, Rod and All,

The thing is we could just build an Uber Scratchpad wiki separate from
wikipedia where we knew who everyone was. Funders could even pay
people to contribute and we could produce metrics on their activities
etc. This could all be done cheaply with available software with
relatively little tinkering but there doesn't seem to be a way to fund
it. For example (and I am definitely *not* EoL bashing here) EoL could
have spent virtually nothing on software and infrastructure and spent
95% of their money paying people  to write content - but they didn't,
probably because it is not an attractive funding model to pay
taxonomists for content. EDIT (from which Scratchpads emerge) are also
building a custom distributed application thing and the CATE project
is doing likewise I believe. So we will have at least three taxonomic
workbench like applications in the near future (I am sure there are
more) plus scratchpads (which are wiki / CMS) and still far more
content will be generated and used on wikipedia than on any of these
systems.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Perhaps everyone will rally
behind EoL once they implement the functionality available in
wikimedia already but I don't think EoL have plans to pay people to
contribute so it may not take off. Only time will tell.

Solutions look simple from 20,000 feet but more complex from ground
level.

Thanks for all your contributions,

Roger