[Taxacom] exuvia versus exuvium

Spies, Martin spies at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jun 6 13:29:03 CDT 2008

Doug,

> Which is the proper singular form of the term "exuviae" - is it
> exuvia, or exuvium?

Neither. There is no singular form.

> Torre-Bueno's glossary of entomology (usually a definitive source)
> says that the term only exists as a plural

So far, Torre-Bueno's advice is as "definitve" as usual. Wikipedia and
the like don't come with enough authority to doubt that.

> and lists BOTH exuvia and exuvium as "synonyms" of exuviae.

Incorrect synonyms, may be, if there is such a thing.

> there is surely a need to HAVE a singular term

Why? (And I don't mean to start that singular/plural debate that was
raging a little while ago.)

> Why can't things be simple?

They are if we let them. ;-)

Cheers