[Taxacom] exuvia - exuviae versus exuvium - exuvia

Carmine COLACINO carmine.colacino at unibas.it
Fri Jun 6 14:23:38 CDT 2008

According to my old Latin dictionary of high school, these are the
possibilities,

the first one grammatically feminine (f), the second one neuter (n.):

exuviae, -arum, f.  [from the verb exuo (exuere)] (plural)

with has also a singular: exuvia, -ae, f.

or

exuvium, -ii n. (same meaning, same origin), singular, whose plural,
If I recall correcly
in the case of this type of neuters, should indeed be exuvia.

Therefore, the correct singular or plural depends on which of those
two forms  you decide to use,
and on which is more commonly used in entomology (I'm a botanist).

Of course, this refers to classical Latin, rather than Scientific
Latin (which is a
more recent construct, as we all know).

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Dr Carmine Colacino
Laboratorio di Briologia
Dip. di Biologia Difesa e Biotecnologie Agro Forestali
Universita' della Basilicata
Viale dell'Ateneo Lucano, 10
85100 Potenza, Italy
Ph. +39-0971-206234; Fax +39-0971-206233
Lab.+39-0971/205346: Mob.+39-329-3178399
Alt. e-mail: colacino at bryology.eu
http://www.unibas.it/utenti/colacino/
http://www.bryology.eu/