[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification of organisms (was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 12:22:26 CDT 2008

Perhaps part of the problem is updating databases as sources change.
I'm guessing that names prefixed "CoL2006" are from the 2006 edition
of the Catalogue of Life. Some of these records have since changed.

Updating would be easier if databases made their data more accessible.
The NamesForLife project has DOIs for Bacteria and Archaea names, for
example http://dx.doi.org/10.1601/nm.8233 for Pedobacter heparinus.
Nice as it is to have stable identifiers, there is no (obvious) way to
harvest the associated data in this case, hence databases such as
Tony's will struggle to remain up to date.

Nor does it help that resources such as The Taxonomic Outline of
Bacteria and Archaea (http://www.taxonomicoutline.org/) have the
message "Copyright Michigan State University  39
Board of Trustees 2001-2007, all rights reserved" plastered on every
page. It is, perhaps, uncharitable to blast somebody trying to
aggregate names into a useful resource, when some of the sources of
names seem intent on making this task much, much harder than it needs
to be.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page