[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification of organisms (was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Thu Jun 12 19:07:56 CDT 2008

Dear Bill,

I appreciate your taking the time to look around the site in your particular area of expertise, and am sorry about the number of errors you encountered so quickly. I actually believe that the Prokaryotes is most likely one of (!) the weaker areas of the site. Those species names (in the main) come from the 2006 Catalogue of Life (which was the most current version when I started this project), and all are identified with their source and/or unique identifier used in the source wherever possible, to give an audit trail, and also to point out where the required error correction needs (actually: needed) to take place (as Rod page points out, re-synchronising the lists is then a separate issue).

The majority of the genus names (across the board) and their family assignments come in the first instance from Sheila Brands' SN2000 compilation (now the Taxonomicon). She kindly gave me access to her list of "unverified" names as well as "verified"; since the vast majority of the "unverified" ones are in fact good, I took the decision to include them in IRMNG, however with an "unverified" tag so that they can be hidden or ignored if needed. If there are spelling, authorship, or classification errors that it is possible to detect and correct systematically (no pun intended), then I (or possibly someone) will try to do so over time.

As I said in a previous post, basically I am trying to create a tool for which one can supply an input genus, or genus+species, and wherever possible the tool will say if the taxon is marine or nonmarine (or both), and extant or fossil (or both); also supply some indicative higher taxonomy (although this is not the main purpose of the list). The higher tax. that is in there is an aid to the data management, and also to allow hierarchical (i.e. efficient) generation of the habitat and extant/fossil flags, by vertical propagation (example: all trilobites are fossil, all Anthozoa are marine, most insects are nonmarine, etc. etc.). So at some stage I will be happy to merge what I have at genus+species level with a "better" higher taxonomy, if anyone can supply it, but meanwhile the lack of such does not critically impact on the functionality of the list. Also I have paid least attention to the prokaryotes (with the exception of Cyanobacteria), viruses, and fungi at this time, apologies for that.

I would like to point out that I am choosing to alert folk to the existence of my "list" at an early stage (perhaps too early), before many of the more obvious problems / inconsistencies /legacy issues have been worked through. This is a bit like releasing software at the "alpha" stage (in-house testing, normally a bit embarrassing to show to anyone else) as opposed to the "beta" stage (limited external exposure, to a select client group, in order to detect and rectify the residual bugs), let alone the final "production" stage (where most things should work, unless you are Microsoft :)  ), obviously I will weigh the benefits and drawbacks of such early release according to the comments I receive...

My hope is also to prompt some discussion of the "big picture" issues, such as when can we expect a "complete" Catalogue of Life that can actually be used as such (or, what needs to change to make this happen), the same with a master higher classification of all life (extant and fossil), as well of the practical database issues of how best to physically manage all the required types of content, expose it for searching, cope with misspellings, etc., plus the particular issues surrounding the potential merging of different regional, thematic, or other lists. While these are one or maybe several steps removed from the ground-level tasks of describing and naming taxa, they are important in their own way and there are still many challenges in this domain to be solved, and I think that the persons on this list are in a key position to brainstorm some ways forward.

Regards - Tony