[Taxacom] Nordic Journal of Botany

Torbjörn Tyler Torbjorn.Tyler at ekol.lu.se
Fri Jun 13 07:49:45 CDT 2008

--
Dear colleagues,

I write to inform you that Nordic Journal of
Botany has now been successfully restructured and
fully modernized and is now heading for the
future as a leading international journal in the
fields of botanical and mycological systematics,
diversity, conservation, evolution and
biogeography. The first two double isues produced
by Oikos Editorial Office is now available on the
internet http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/NJB
and NJB 25(1-2) is available FOR FREE at this
address. In addition, all previous volumes of NJB
(vol. 1-24)  are now  digitalized and available
as pdf:s on Blackwell Synergy. You'll find more
information on our home page
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0107-055X&site=1.

Herfore, I like to invite you to submit any new
manuscript of yours to us and I assure you that
they will be professionally and promptly handled.
If they are accepted for publication they may
appear in print within a few mounths only.

In addition, since many libraries finished their
subscription to Nordic Journal of Botany when the
journal went through a major crizis 2006-07, I
encourage you to check with your librarian such
that you don't miss any of the exciting articles
due for our next issues.

Nordic Journal of Botany, with predecessors
dating back to 1839, which has upheld the
Linnaean tradition of botanical publication from
the Nordic countries, is from 2007 onwards edited
by the reputed Oikos Editorial Office in
cooperation with Wiley-Blackwell. The journal has
got a completely new and young set of editors, a
new layout and format, allowing full-colour
illustrations. Moreover, each volume will have a
different colour photo on the cover and all
accepted manuscripts are swiftly available
online. In addition, we have reduced the handling
time of a manuscript from submission to
publication to an absolute minimum. We have left
no stone unturned.

What remains unchanged, however, is the aim of
the journal, i.e. to carry on in the Linnaean
botanical tradition and publish scientific papers
of high quality and of prime international
interest. The description and naming of
previously unknown organisms from throughout the
world will continue to be an essential part of
this tradition. However, the heritage of
Linnaeus, and thus the scope of Nordic Journal of
Botany, includes all biological sciences of
importance for our understanding of global
biodiversity. No doubt, such research will become
increasingly important as the ongoing global
changes and the threats to biodiversity worldwide
proceeds, and as Editor-in-Chief it is my aim
that Nordic Journal of Botany will follow this
trend into the future as a broad journal for
botanical biodiversity research. Contributions
devoted to systematics (including phylogenetics,
genetic variation within and among taxa,
nomenclature and descriptions and revisions of
taxa), biogeography, conservation biology and
recent changes and threats to botanical diversity
are welcomed. In addition, manuscripts on macro-
and micro-anatomy, cytology, reproductive
biology, ecophysiology, mycology, lichenology and
phycology are welcomed provided that the findings
are presented in a taxonomic, evolutionary or
biogeographical context. It is my intention and
goal that Nordic Journal of Botany will continue
to be both an important source for
basic/descriptive information of relevance for
taxonomic, evolutionary, ecological and
biogeographical research and an arena for
high-quality experimental, mechanistical or
theoretical studies within these disciplines.

Volume 25 of Nordic Journal of Botany, the first
published after the abovementioned complete
restructuring of the journal, is soon to be
completed consisting of 3 full 256-page double
issues with no less than 65 articles. The first
of these double issues was mainly devoted to the
description of new taxa from all around the world
and papers dealing with the work of Linnaeus,
whereas in the two latter issues as diverse
subjects as the competitive ability of invasive
species, the pollination biology of orchids and
figs, the genetic structure and phylogeography of
trees in desert oases and the taxonomic
significance of new chorological and
palynological data in various plant groups are
covered. Apart from vascular plants, bryophytes,
desmids, lichens, macro- and micro-fungi are
treated. Manuscripts are now handled and
evaluated by a team of 21 merited subject
editors, each responsible for one of the main
subjects covered by the journal.

With volume 26, the first issue of which is now
under production, Nordic Journal of Botany will
return to a regular bi-monthly production
schedule with six issues per year. All previous
volumes of the journal are available online and
accepted manuscripts awaiting publication will be
made available as Online Early. Colour
illustrations are regularly included in the
online publication, but will also be included in
the printed version on the expenses of the
author. During 2008, the routines of the new,
young and enthusiastic editorial team will be
further trimmed and production times and the time
from submission to final acceptance will be even
shorter. In short, we assure to make Nordic
Journal of Botany a most attractive journal for
both authors and readers and it is my firm belief
that we will succeed in our attempts to continue
the Nordic Linnaean tradition by producing a
truly international journal with ever increasing
reputation and long standing impact from
Linnaeus' home country.

Torbjörn Tyler
Editor-in-Chief

Torbjörn Tyler, Ph.D,

- Curator at herbarium LD.
- Editor in Chief of Nordic Journal of Botany.
- Deputy secretary of Lund Botanical Society,
with special responsibility for Projekt Skånes
Mossor.
- Responsible for the project The Hieracia of Sweden.

Botanical Museum
Ö. Vallgatan 18
SE-223 61 Lund

tel. +(0)46-222 89 65

e-mail: torbjorn.tyler at botmus.lu.se

Private address: Bredgatan 12B, SE-243 32 Höör (=Hoeoer), tel. +(0)413-23123.