[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification of organisms (was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

faunaplan at aol.com faunaplan at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 05:50:01 CDT 2008

 Tony Rees asked: "Can we do it better? Undoubtedly. Who should really be doing it? I'm not sure, actually..."

As for zoological names - lions share of those millions of names that are out there - I guess what we have reached so far is nothing more/ nothing less than beta experimental versions. Several of them well done and not without value - as David Remsen said.
For the next step it's not enough to enable beta versions harvest more and more data from each other. What we need so urgently is active involvement of taxon experts, as many as possible. And maybe we must not forget the "fun"-component in it - as Roderic Page suggested some months ago.

Why not expand those hardly attractive report-error-to-the-webmaster functions by displaying review details received from expert users. I imagine such annotations could enormously increase the credibility of online biodiversity information projects.

1) Source verification: spelling of name, authorship and date have been compared with the original publication. Show name of person(s) who did the check.
2) nomenclatural status assessment: available/ validly published or not, with annotations on details (reasons for unavailability, homonymy, etc.). Name of person(s) who did the check.
3) taxonomic status: valid/ accepted or not, subjective synonymy, hints on alternative classifications (if needed), etc. Name of expert(s) who provided the information.

In this way, experts could take the control and show responsibility for data,  - an important step from more or less anonymous machine work to expert controlled work, IMHO.
No?

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Lorenz