[Taxacom] accepted names using the uBio web services?

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Wed Jun 18 23:06:00 CDT 2008

>>> On 18/06/2008 at 7:29 p.m., "Ken-ichi Ueda" <kueda at ischool.berkeley.edu>
wrote:
> Is there a way to get the currently accepted name of an outdated taxon
> name using the uBio web services?
>
> For example, if I call namebank_search for "Hyla crucifer," an
> outdated scientific name of Pseudacris crucifer (Spring Peeper, a frog
> from the eastern US), I get several namebank objects back at the
> species level: 2812644, 6805040, 655121, and 4827754. Calling
> namebank_object on each of these returns lots of data about the names,
> but nothing I can see that indicates a link to the accepted name,
> Pseudacris crucifer.

Are you sure it's as simple as that?. Trinomens are involved and it looks messy. It might be worth considering that Hyla crucifer crucifer appears to relate directly to Pseudacris crucifer or P. c. crucifer, whereas Hyla crucifer is too ambiguous/imprecise and includes other subspecies.

FWIW, probably zilch.