[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification oforganisms (was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Sat Jun 21 03:12:56 CDT 2008

At the risk of being accused of repeating myself ... Index Fungorum has an active policy of linking names to digitized literature in the form of simple jpg images, via resolvable URLs, which any browser can display without the need to use obstrusive 'plug-ins'. Cyberliber has about 150,000 such jpg files and IF links to about 30,000 of these which are pages where names have been published. A further 250,000 names have links to page images from the scanned printed indexes which have documented names of fungi for the last 100 or so years.

JSTOR is 'closed' because it's subscription only so not much use to most of the world; BHL has an over-engineered human interface for fingers on keyboards and no URLs which simply resolve to a jpg.

If we keep it simple it is a rather trival exercise to add links to literature ... if we make it whizzy for the human at the keyboard it becomes either a 'non trival exercise' or it's impossible.

Paul