[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification oforganisms(was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Mon Jun 23 08:24:42 CDT 2008

tis a bad thing Jim, always has been ... and the number of 'activists'
in mycology attemting to redress the balance is not helped by the glib
use of the 'animals and plants' phrase in the context of all
biodiversity by those who should no better e.g. Directors of botanical
institutions which, because of tradition, include a mycology section.
I'm not suggesting that the Royal Botanic Gardens xxx should be renamed
the Royal Botanic and Mycologic Gardens xxx ... but other mycologists
are

I was referring to published names of species not estimates of total,
which stand at about 1.5m for fungi.

Paul