[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification oforganisms(was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

Jerry Cooper cooperj at landcareresearch.co.nz
Mon Jun 23 15:53:29 CDT 2008

I'll climb on the same box briefly to support relatively initiatives like LibriFungorum and Cyberliber.

IndexFungorum (and the decades of printed indexes on which it is based) is a very good example of the index that Rod describes (and IPNI isn't).
The fact that protologues are linked to IndexFungorum as jpegs of page scans, as opposed to OCR'd documents, is therefore largely irrelevant. >From a nomenclatural standpoint the combination of the name index and the page scans satisfies most needs.

Jerry

Sure the protologues have descriptive data useful from a taxonomic perspective
>>> "Paul Kirk" <p.kirk at cabi.org> 24/06/2008 12:37 a.m. >>>
not sure that smart is a good word when much of IPNI, useful source that
it is, is not much advanced from where it was when it was created in
terms of de-duplication, standardized spellings of generic names, linked
homotypic names ...

however, when I comes to mycologist ... and before you say we only have
about one third of the number of names to deal compared to botanists I
hope I do not need to point out that for each mycologist there are
probably 25 botanists ... we do have a largely de-duplicated
nomenclator, standardized spellings of generic names, mostly linked
homotypic names ...

OK, I getting off my soap box.

Paul