[Taxacom] Towards a consensus higher classification oforganisms(was: List of Orders of the world), misspellings, etc...

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 17:49:45 CDT 2008

> IndexFungorum (and the decades of printed indexes on which it is based)
> is a very good example of the index that Rod describes (and IPNI isn't).
> The fact that protologues are linked to IndexFungorum as jpegs of page
> scans, as opposed to OCR'd documents, is therefore largely irrelevant.
> From a nomenclatural standpoint the combination of the name index
> and the page scans satisfies most needs.

We have been experimenting with this as part of the Australian Plant
Name Index and to our surprise found it was possible to sort of OCR
the document as it was being PDFed so instead of a just a graphic you
ended up with a facsimile that was sort of searchable on the text.  We
were looking for an escape route that would enable the protologue to
be parsed and endatabased some time in the future when we had the
time, the staff and the technology.  We were able to convince
ourselves that making the pdf's was not a sunk investment of time
because the text could indeed be extracted for when we needed it.

Now all we need is a bunch of slaves chained to scanners and a library
starting at 1753...

jim