[Taxacom] Wrongly named by scientists

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Fri Jun 27 02:06:48 CDT 2008

couldn't agree more and ...

on a related item on the T-R web site I see we have a selected top 10 species for 2007 including 'Number 7 -New Fun Guy on Campus?' ... personally I prefer things fun gal ... ;-) ... but the selection group must have a deeper understanding of gender in fungi. However, I see no mycologists on the selection panel and those with a nominal responsibility for this kingdom of life on planet earth continue to lump these organisms with the plants "The discovery of a new species in one of the most intensely studied floras in the world  [sic]"! I am sure they would not use this phrase if it had been a new animal and, of course, to substitute flora with fauna would be phylogenetically more 'PC' but why not use the correct word - mycota - which is equally correct in this statement.

Paul