Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 05:43:35 CDT 2008

Yes, the reasons I proposed code-specific names is that because of
possible homonyms we often have to state from which nomenclatural
realm a name comes. Furthermore, the structure of names is
significantly different between codes (think of the ICVCN!), so giving
the code together with a name would simplify parsing.

I view this as an optional specification that goes beyond the general
statement: this name is a scientific organism name (I proposed TAX for
this, but anyones favorite will do for me).

I am wary about trying to register a language code, though this would
look nicer. It will also take a long time and uncertainty until
acceptance, so my current thinking is that we should only pursue this
in parallel with another option, and only if we find enough expertise
to carry it through.

Andy raised an important point about the inheritance though. The
solution would be more stable if the nomenclatural code were a variant
of the general culture code. That is, language code could be zxx,
Culture TAX (or any other agreed subcode) and variant the code of
nomenclature.

Thus: zxx-TAX-BC,  zxx-TAX-ICBN, zxx-TAX-ICZN etc.

Gregor