Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Jun 27 06:09:30 CDT 2008

In message <00f201c8d81e$1baf4930$2b4c4451 at magnifica2>, Paul van
Rijckevorsel <dipteryx at freeler.nl> writes

>>> Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com> writes
>>>In general, it seems desirable to have a generic form as well as forms
>>>specific to the codes of nomenclature (BC, ICVCN, ICBN, ICNCP, ICZN).

It's not the job of language markup to resolve such ambiguities (though
the species microformat does).

Does <span lang="en">feet</span> refer to measurement or the things at
the end of legs? We don't use en-measurement and en-anatomy.

>> I don't think those are as good as the first option, if there is more
>> than one code, because they do not fall back to a common
>> taxonomy-specific parent (which is "sc" in your above example
>
>***
>How would
>zxx-cb,  zxx-cc,  zxx-cp,  zxx-cv,  zxx-cz
>zxx-scb, zxx-scc, zxx-scp, zxx-scv, zxx-scz  (science + etc) or
>zxx-snb, zxx-snc, zxx-snp, zxx-snv, zxx-snz  (scientific name + etc)
>work out as a set (falling back to a parent) ?

That's too many for lay people to grasp; and there is still no parent
taxonomy code.

--
Andy Mabbett
            Says  "NO! to compulsory UK ID Cards":  <http://www.no2id.net/>