Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:30:55 CDT 2008

The point of the proposal to use xml:lang is to offer a general way to
denote certain passages of free-form text or structured text elements
as general as possible.

It is possible to alternatively agree on a microformat (using the
class attribute) for xhtml, on defining a schema for the subject tag
when using qualified DublinCore, or defining special elements or
attributes in any of the xml languages we have used. However, it would
simplify our task if we could use as general a method as possible.
Using xml:lang it is possible to denote a given phrase as coming from
a fisherman's dialect on the coast on some island. Or to quote from
rfc 4646:
    de-CH-1901 (German as used in Switzerland using the 1901 variant
[orthography])
    sl-IT-nedis (Slovenian as used in Italy, Nadiza dialect)

Since the organism names are based on a clear vocabulary and grammar,
I do not really see a difference to plan languages.

It would be a community decision to use language tags as one of
several options. Using the private use areas (everything after an
"-x-" subtag) we could start without even registering. But it would be
painful if everyone uses different private notations.

Gregor