Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 19:27:21 CDT 2008

I may have lost the plot here, but isn't problem we have one of trying
to use the xml:lang tag for a purpose for which it was not intended?
>From a W3C page: "A special attribute named xml:lang may be inserted
in documents to specify the language used in the contents and
attribute values of any element in an XML document.".  My
interpretation of this is along the lines of: "the text following is
written in... ".  There is no implication of content, context or
meaning, only that "to understand it you need to be able to speak ..."

It could (should?) be argued that in the <span lang="ICBN">Pieris
discussed the issue is not one of language (both appear to be
scientific Latinish) but one of context and concept.

In this case we are dealing with homonyms under different codes.  But
what, hypothetically, if we were dealing with homonyms under the same
code?  Outrageous I know, but I believe it has been known to happen.
The ambiguity in constructions like the above would be unresolvable.

It looks as though we trying to use language to solve a problem
created by language and Einsten's "a problem can not be solved on the
level at which it was created" comes to mind...  :)

jim