Arthur Chapman taxacom3 at achapman.org
Fri Jun 27 20:20:11 CDT 2008

I agree with Jim Croft here.

It would appear that some correspondents to this thread have confused
the internal marking up of a document in XML and Dublin Core.

Having been involved in some of the developments of Dublin Core - what
is being proposed here has nothing to do with the metaelements of Dublin
Core which are used in a header to a Web document, and as Jim says - the
language meta-element is specificially for documenmting the language of
the document - not individual parts within a document.

That is not to say that markup elements cannot be developed and based on
the concepts within Dublin Core - but please don't confuse them with the
Dublin Core Metadata Element Set  <http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/
<http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/>>

I see no reason why TDWG can't suggest a standard markup methodology for
identifying taxonomic names within a document. An example of one way
this is done is with the Biota Neotropica
<http://www.biotaneotropica.org.br/v8n2/pt/> Journal where under the
Abstract there are lists of taxa that are mentioned within the paper -
marked up in XML. Such an agreement through TDWG could be submitted to
the W3C, but not as part of Dublin Core

Arthur D. Chapman
Toowoomba, Australia