Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 08:53:39 CDT 2008

On 2008-06-27 15:41, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> Of course there is a basic difference. The former pair uses two real,
> and different languages. You seem to be under the misapprehension that
> taxonomic names published under different codes are in different
> languages. That's not the case, certainly from an IETF-languages point
> of view [*].

Andy, you've said that you are an amateur. You didn't specify whether in
IETF or in systematics, but my understanding of IETF gleaned from the
Unicode list is that national bodies and speakers of languages have at
least a little say in what constitutes the entities in the
classification. Scientific nomenclature has international bodies, and
the "cultures" are represented here on Taxacom, so I don't think you
should be so readily dismissive.