Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 09:21:24 CDT 2008

On 2008-06-27 18:18, Donald.Hobern at csiro.au wrote:
> 3. Will other software (outside our community) be able to do something
> sensible with what we put in the tag?

Besides the translation issue raised above, I've encountered two other
real-life examples recently:

1. There's a mini-controversy on Wikipedia (isn't there always?)
concerning an editor who language-tags scientific names as la. He may
have begun doing this when I pointed out that his autocorrection of
Cornus florida to Cornus Florida was an error. A number of other editors
have made the same point as people on the Taxacom thread, that
scientific names are better regarded as elements within the language of
the text that contains them, and are resistant to the idea of language
tagging. Some of the proposals made here would address that.

2. I have been working with a student who uses a screen reader, as part
of our accessible technology program. As has been pointed out, screen
readers shift voices and pronunciations when they encounter language
tags. This student is not a biologist, and doesn't often encounter
scientific names, but a simple thought experiment shows the issues.

Consider the plant species Hebe trisepala. Pronounced by a screen reader
as English, it might come across as HEEB trice-PAY-luh. Tagged as Latin,
and assuming the screen reader had the ability to read Latin (probably
not common), it would be HAY-bay tree-SEH-pah-lah. Neither of those is a
good representation of the pronunciation in either American or
Commonwealth English.

A set of requirements for tagging scientific names needs to address
these real-world examples. Tagging as any language but en would probably
solve the first one (until some parser goes through en.wikipedia looking
for Klingon text and finds scientific names instead), but the latter is
more nuanced.