[Taxacom] Nuttall's species at PH, holotypes vs. lectotypes?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sat Jun 28 09:26:56 CDT 2008

Actually the Code looks quite clear to me. As laid down in Art. 9.1, a
holotype is an absolute (from a formal perspective): "As long as a holotype
is extant, it fixes the application of the name concerned". As long as a
holotype exists nothing else matters and any lectotypification published is
irrelevant, being merely a waste of paper.

The material question is, of course, if the specimen you are looking at is
indeed the holotype? In the absence of internal evidence (in the protologue)
this may be a difficult question, rather depending on what historical
evidence you have. But if the specimen you are looking at was collected by
the author, and annotated by the author, and it is established as very
likely that there are neither duplicates of this specimen nor that the
author had access to other gatherings of the same species, then it looks
safe to assume that this specimen is the holotype.

>From a formal perspective it is irrelevant to publish a note, as the
holotype remains the holotype, no matter if anything further is published on
it or not. From a practical perspective it may help to put the evidence and
reasoning in print, so as to prevent a later researcher from going through
the same process.

Paul

BTW: Rec. 9A.4 only applies if the protologue cites only a single
gathering, and as I understand it, this is not the case here.