Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 11:33:15 CDT 2008

With regard to Latin:

a) this works only if we also have subtags, as I said Latin alone
would prevent tagging scientific names within the Latin plant and
fungus descriptions still required in ICBN. "la-taxon" would work.

b) My feeling is that scientific names are not latin with respect to
that they should not be translated (which an autotranslator
encountering a language would do) and that they do not follow Latin
grammar: a grammar autocorrector would wrongly change the text where
declinations would be in order.

This is why I prefer to deduce from zxx, or a special new code (but I
suggest to pursue alternatives are well, the special code was rejected
once already).

I like Curtis's Wiki example. Such a general environment is exactly
why I think the highly general language tag is suitable and desirable.
It works in standard software environments rather than being limited
to custom designed software.

Gregor