Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sat Jun 28 12:40:04 CDT 2008

From: "Gregor Hagedorn" <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:33 PM
> b) My feeling is that scientific names are not latin with respect to
> that they should not be translated (which an autotranslator
> encountering a language would do) and that they do not follow Latin
> grammar: a grammar autocorrector would wrongly change the text where
> declinations would be in order.

***
Actually they do follow Latin grammar, but a grammar autocorrector would
likely wrongly change them anyway.

However, the following are also formal  (=not to be translated)
names of plants

Brassica oleracea 'Nichtschiessender'
Cucumis sativus NOA'S FORCING ('Noas Trieb')

and, of course, there are cases where it is allowed to translate or
transcribe part of the name.

Paul