Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Jun 28 14:25:27 CDT 2008

In message <002201c8d946$0fbc5cc0$2b4c4451 at magnifica2>, Paul van
Rijckevorsel <dipteryx at freeler.nl> writes

>However, the following are also formal  (=not to be translated) names
>of plants
>
>Brassica oleracea 'Nichtschiessender'
>Cucumis sativus NOA'S FORCING ('Noas Trieb')

Which is comparable to a person's name, in prose.

If an English document contains the name "Bill Major", how do we ensure
that, when the document is translated into German, it stays as it is,
and is not translated as "Rechnung Mayor"? [*]

Answer: there is no formal method in HTML, nor encoding in
IETF-languages, for doing so; although if that were marked up as
someone's name using a microformat (in this case, the hCard microformat)
then the necessary semantics are in place, for software to recognise the
need to preserve the original spelling.

[*] Apologies if my schoolboy-German is incorrect.

--
Andy Mabbett