Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:44:09 CDT 2008

This does not seam reasonable at all...  but that is just the sort of
person I am...

Apart from the fact that the representation might be non
scientifically rigourous in that it might introduce names and concepts
that may not have been part of the original text stream, but assuming
that all the data is valid and could be made part of the text stream,
how about something like:

<Representation>
    <Label xml:lang="en">Japanese Maple</Label>
    <Label xml:lang="de">Fächer-Ahorn</Label>
    <taxon_name lsid="yadda.yadda.yadda">Acer palmatum</taxon_name>
    <taxon_concept lsid="bhah.blah.blah">Acer palmatum</taxon_concept>
 </Representation>

or

<Representation>
    <Label xml:lang="en">Japanese Maple</Label>
    <Label xml:lang="de">Fächer-Ahorn</Label>
    <Label name_lsid="yadda.yadda.yadda">Acer palmatum</Label>
    <Label concept_lsid="bhaj.blah.blah">Acer palmatum</Label>
 </Representation>

or silimar

Each of these handles is unambiguous and an application could
conceivably be written to do meaningful things with each.

jim