Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Jun 28 19:21:40 CDT 2008

In message
<a9f8e03f0806281617h68e48885yb0f17cb96c95dcb5 at mail.gmail.com>, Jim Croft
<jim.croft at gmail.com> writes

>On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Andy Mabbett
><andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> In message <002201c8d946$0fbc5cc0$2b4c4451 at magnifica2>, Paul van
>> Rijckevorsel <dipteryx at freeler.nl> writes
>>
>>>However, the following are also formal  (=not to be translated) names
>>>of plants
>>>
>>>Brassica oleracea 'Nichtschiessender'
>>>Cucumis sativus NOA'S FORCING ('Noas Trieb')
>>
>> Which is comparable to a person's name, in prose.
>>
>> If an English document contains the name "Bill Major", how do we ensure
>> that, when the document is translated into German, it stays as it is,
>> and is not translated as "Rechnung Mayor"?

>Isn't this just the sort of thing that the xml:lang="yxx" tag could or
>should be used for?
>
>jim <surname xml:lang="yxx">Croft</surname>
><!-- lest I be translated into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croft_(land) -->

Arguably [*], though one may then loose the information that the surname
"Croft" is to be spoken with the parent language's pronunciation (unless
one assumes that such cases are to retain the parent language's
pronunciation)

[*] Did you mean zxx? I can't find a reference for "yxx". Or perhaps you
meant the language spoken at Abbotsford International Airport:

  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbotsford_International_Airport> ;-)

--
Andy Mabbett