Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Jun 28 23:06:51 CDT 2008

After having waded through this conversation as best I could (even though I
am technically on vacation....), and having switched sides more than once
during my readings, I think my perspective is probably best summarized by
Jim's most recent post below.

Trying to add semantic context to scientific names in electronic documents
via a semi-kludge of language atttibutes seems to me to be a quick-fix to a
problem that is becoming increasingly small; while the real solution (as
outlined by Jim) seems to me to be getting closer and closer to reality.
With next-generation uBio-esque tools and services operating within a
coordinated Global Names Architecture (GNA), itself built upon a thin but
highly inclusive Global Names Index (GNI), I predict that it will be just as
easy to mark-up scientific names in electronic documents with pointers to
resolvable GUIDs as it would be to mark them up with language attributes.
The hard work for both will be: 1) recognizing it as a taxonomic name; and
2) sorting out which Code it blongs to. Any tool that can do these two
things in order to mark it up with appropriate language attributes, will
soon (via GNA/GNI) be able to go all the way to a GUID tag.

Maybe we're trying to accommodate feeble browsers and other software that
consumes electronic documents in order to make some semantic sense of them;
but these, too, will likely fade into the history books alongside COBAL and
CP/M.  It seems to me that we're so close now to the brass ring (tagging
things like scientific names with explicit resolvable identifiers), that we
might as well reach for that brass ring now, instead of cobble together a
semi-solution that only incrementally reduces existing ambiguity.

Over & out....

Aloha,
Rich