Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sun Jun 29 02:49:51 CDT 2008

From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:06 AM
>Maybe we're trying to accommodate feeble browsers and other software that
>consumes electronic documents in order to make some semantic sense of them;
>but these, too, will likely fade into the history books alongside COBAL and
>CP/M.  It seems to me that we're so close now to the brass ring (tagging
>things like scientific names with explicit resolvable identifiers), that we
>might as well reach for that brass ring now, instead of cobble together a
>semi-solution that only incrementally reduces existing ambiguity.

***
I am a little less optimistic about "feeble browsers" dying out (COBOL is
still massively important), but indeed it would be much better to take the
next step, as outlined by Jim Croft:

><Representation>
>   <Label xml:lang="en">Japanese Maple</Label>
>   <Label xml:lang="de">F├Ącher-Ahorn</Label>
>   <taxon_name lsid="yadda.yadda.yadda">Acer palmatum</taxon_name>
>   <taxon_concept lsid="bhah.blah.blah">Acer palmatum</taxon_concept>
></Representation>

However in that case, the hard work will be to match it up with the
circumscription (taxon concept) used, especially as in many cases the author
of the original will not know. But if it is possible it would indeed be
great!

Paul