Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 03:37:56 CDT 2008

Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com> wrote:
> jim <surname xml:lang="zxx">Croft</surname>
> <!-- lest I be translated into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croft_(land) -->

I agree that someone may use this for some purpose, which is why I
believe that zxx is a good basis (many processor fall back to a
reasonable behavior if they don't know zxx-TaxonOrSomething, but that
a subtag is needed.

By the way: names do occur in variants; I have never seen a
non-transliterated name (Russian, Chinese, Greek) in latin-script
publishing, and the xml:lang tags do deal with different
transliteration schemes (eg "ru-Latn"). Not sure how transliteration
schemes work with zxx, but this is off-topic here, since scientific
names are not to be transliterated.

Gregor