Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 29 10:06:29 CDT 2008

On 2008-06-28 21:06, Richard Pyle wrote:
> Trying to add semantic context to scientific names in electronic documents
> via a semi-kludge of language atttibutes seems to me to be a quick-fix to a
> problem that is becoming increasingly small; while the real solution (as
> outlined by Jim) seems to me to be getting closer and closer to reality.
> With next-generation uBio-esque tools and services operating within a
> coordinated Global Names Architecture (GNA), itself built upon a thin but
> highly inclusive Global Names Index (GNI), I predict that it will be just as
> easy to mark-up scientific names in electronic documents with pointers to
> resolvable GUIDs as it would be to mark them up with language attributes.

As usual, I find myself agreeing with Rich. Certainly in my new role as
manager of an IT shop, I'm always faced with temporary kludges that were
never fixed. And in this case, the person-hours needed to language-tag
scientific names, and then later convert the markup to use GUIDs, might
be better spent.