[Taxacom] Wrongly named by scientists

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at netspeed.com.au
Mon Jun 30 07:13:38 CDT 2008

Geoff Read wrote:

>> About a third of all types of fish and other marine life have been wrongly
>> named by scientists, complicating efforts to conserve what could be a
>> million marine species, experts said on Wednesday.
>
> Reuters staff, who transformed a positive press release into the more
> newsworthy negative, will shortly similarly revisit the wisdom of
> physicians, physicists, geographers, and chemists, etc of 250 years ago and
> make news out of the percentage of their work that is incorrect, no longer
> useful, or otherwise unusable today. Yeah right.

The difference is that other scientists don't spend a large part of their
time searching for, recording, analyzing, and republishing the mistakes of
the past. We might see a similar news article if a research organisation
makes a press release on advances in the chemistry of phlogiston.

--
Mike Dallwitz
Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm