[Taxacom] iSpecies with Wikipedia

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Mar 26 10:39:53 CDT 2008

On Wed, March 26, 2008 08:28, Roderic Page wrote:

>> You could perhaps add a section for links to "third part sites" and
>> include Bioimages in that.
>
> I much prefer to have links that I know will return something.
> iSpecies is not a web directory, it's aim is to aggregate and redisplay
> information.

I wasn't suggesting that you become a "web directory", but a few links, to
well-chosen sites should enhance, not reduce the site's usefulness to its
users.

>>> Wikispecies is almost useless, and I don't want to make "blind
>>> links".
>>
>> How so? Do you think it is flawed, or just too incomplete?

> Flawed because it isn't clearly separated from Wikipedia (which has
> greater traction),

I'm not clear what you mean, here. Why is that a problem?

> has a bizarre classification,

I'd be curious to know in what way.

>and is demonstrably  incomplete.

Accepted - it is still a work in progress, after all.

>>> Not yet convinced these are useful.
>>>

>> Well, for one thing, they enable mash-ups without the need for an API,
>> solving your previous dilemma!
>
> I still would much rather have an API that returns XML or JSON,
> rather than extract tags from HTML.

You may; I was referring more to the usefulness for your users.

--
Andy Mabbett
** via webmail **