[Taxacom] iSpecies with Wikipedia

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:02:08 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:
>  We can all agree that there is no one "true" classification for all taxa
>  that all taxonomists will agree on.  This is not an opinion; it's an
>  accurate representation of reality.  And that reality is not very likely to
>  change anytime soon.

You don't have to agree that a classification is right - you just have
to agree to use it

> Bottom line is that there is no single classification for all taxa that all
> taxonomists agree with, so some arbitration is needed to arrive at a single
> classification that the non-taxonomists will find helpful.

There is another: compromise and consensus settling on the least
unacceptable option.  This the approach used by the Australian
botanical community in developing the Australian Plant Census.  So far
I think we have had to resort to coin flipping arbitration in only a
couple of cases out of a vascular flora of c. 20k.  That is not to say
there has not been shouting, blood and no-speakies, but it is
progressing far better than anyone expected it to.   Give it a go -
put the players together and tell them no-one is allowed out until
there is white smoke... :)

jim
Jim Croft
jim.croft at gmail.com