[Taxacom] dissapearing data

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:10:45 CST 2008

That does not make it any the less terrifying.

With the major push towards electronic-only publishing of the business
and data of taxonomy, persistence of our resources and results would
have to be one of our biggest challenges.  And by persistence I mean
*always and forever* being able to find the thing by the same
route/URI.

On the scale of boring and reliable stability to precarious
excitement, this ranks right up there with the folly of entrusting our
biological image heritage to a technology dependent string of zeros
and ones.  (Not that we have much choice in the matter...)

At the moment a technology independent page in a journal on a shelf in
a massively replicated library system is about as permanent as you can
get.  I am not so sanguine about the longevity and resilience of our
digital world.

Come home LSID... all is forgiven... we did not really mean all those
nasty things... honest...

The sky is definitely going to fall and we are all going to get
squashed.  Sauve qui peut!

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499

"Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality."
- Joseph Conrad, author (1857-1924)